Spent the day at Clark Elementary, home of the Eagles!
KindergartenI watched Kindergarteners build some log cabins inspired by Abraham Lincoln.
Also saw kindergarten students planting seeds:
2nd gradeI saw 2nd grade making timelines and shared with teachers about some online tools for creating a timeline.
- Best resources: http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2008/08/06/the-best-tools-for-making-online-timelines/
- How to: http://dohistory.org/on_your_own/toolkit/timeline.html
- Cool resources: http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-a-timeline
- Create one on the web: http://www.timetoast.com
- Timeline resources: http://www.teach-nology.com/web_tools/materials/timelines/
- Interactive timeline: http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/timeline/
- If you want to get fancy: http://www.tiki-toki.com
- 8 tools: http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2012/08/8-excellent-free-timeline-creation.html
- SS for kids: http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/subjects/timelines.htm
Integrating technology into the classroomWe discussed the SAMR (pronounced sam-er) model
Resources for SAMR model:
SAMR model: http://www.hippasus.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rubenrp/mtype/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=1&search=SAMR+model
Examples: The SAMR Model: Background and Exemplars
Then discussed using Social networking with 5th graders. Here is Edmodo!
- Edmodo in the classroom: http://inservice.ascd.org/technology/how-to-use-edmodo-in-the-classroom/
- Parent Edmodo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNBXYtCvcdI
- Teacher post on the first year using edmodo: http://idigedtech.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/feeling-like-an-ugly-duck-with-edmodo/
- Edmodo teacher stories: http://blog.edmodo.com/category/teacher-stories/
- Edmodo basics video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPqB8ewrYxQ
Wax Museum PrepStudents research, make poster or timeline, write speech, press button for timeline
I saw posters from students on their famous people they researched. This research was a part of the speeches they prepared for their wax museum they will be having over the next couple of days.
Teacher Meeting on How to use YoutubeUsing Youtube
- Use it like a pro: http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-use-youtube-like-a-pro/
- How to use youtube video editor: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20010127-285/how-to-use-youtubes-video-editor/
- Youtube editor http://www.youtube.com/editor
- Youtube for schools: http://www.youtube.com/schools
- Eliminate clutter: http://instructify.com/2010/06/21/shhhh-quiet-tube/
- CHOP your youtube videos: http://www.tubechop.com
- Advanced features: http://www.cnet.com.au/youtube-guide-to-advanced-features-339296349.htm
- To download youtube videos to keep for yourself use: http://keepvid.com
- NOTE: I’m a fan of downloading the MP4 file for quality and size balance.
1st GradeDiscussed the economics Old Webster project/unit
- Discussed the terms: Good, service, consumer, producer
- How to conduct and interview
- Channel 4 connection
- In the community on the 28th to get to local businesses
Discussed how we could move the project into the 21st century and make something for an authentic audience
What are 21st Century skills?
Then discussed the ability for individual students or teams to make their own video to be displayed to an audience. Here's a tutorial:
More 2nd grade
Saw another 2nd grade class of student presentations for their "wax museum." It is so cool to "press the button" and watch the students come to life as their famous person. Here's an audio recording of one....
Wrapped up the day in Science class they were working on ecosystems and habitats.
Afterwords Attended the PDC meeting. Agenda included:
- Application to lead PD
- Opening Day
- Welcome to new Co-Chair
- Website Expectations
- Identification (grade level, name, class etc.)
- contact info
- Link to resources you use
- link to common resources for all students
- Homework and/or home learning
- Sharing of Google Apps for Education
- Chrome Browser
- Google Apps for Education
- Google Plus