Thursday, May 21, 2015

Summer Kickoff

Welcome to Summer!

Congrats on a busy and fulfilling year.

We’ve accomplished a TON this year in science and social studies and I’m so happy to be learning alongside you as we implement exciting changes in our new curriculum.  It’s awesome.

Below is important information for completing summer work:

I can’t believe he forgot…
I guarantee I forgot something or misremember something as I’m trying to keep all the moving parts in front of us.  If I did, please just let me know!

What do I do?!?!
So, I’m working on curriculum, what do I do?  I have combed through our resources, postings on the hub and CNI server and created what will be our "TO DO" list.  I have separated each grade level and content area on slides.  Using google slides all you would need to do is go to the slide that fits the grade level and content you are working on.

Video explaining how to do this here:


SLIDES with Summer To Do list Here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/14-9T5ktNdhVsXLNSrdpxkAYw4BNASIYjyzJ4cWYrDy8/edit

Change is hard!

It’s important when working with your colleagues to not only be supportive of them through this process but also help figure out what their needs are so we can be the MOST responsive as a leadership team.  Look at this graphic:


As an example, if you are overhearing someone in the louge discussing about the frustration they have with the new curriculum.  Ask them about resources, maybe they are missing something they need.  If they don’t understand why we made changes to the social studies curriculum, ask then if they know the vision for our curriculum, etc.  Be responsive, be respectful and don’t just let them and their feelings go unnoticed.

Here’s a resource to support you in leading that conversation
Leading complex change in Science: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17DlY9f05VYfaM1hbAsfyQ4uT0y4JC4jA88SvdIowXNs/edit#heading=h.y4y88i1aac1p
Leading complex change in Social Studies: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZMkybN9mvZJ9xNfWkMYYJFV7cCmN1tjR800FNVCPqKk/edit#heading=h.hob2f75eh8uv



Who else is working this summer?
Lots of awesome people are coming together to improve Science and Social Studies.  I put together a sort of list here in case you're nosey :-) or would like to come with with a friend/colleague.

Working on creating an assessment?
I've been thinking about assessments a lot lately.  I'd love to chat with you about it.  I'd love for you to challenge my thinking and really move us forward.  I wanted to share some of my thinking as we begin to author first draft of science and social studies assessments.  Check the video out below:

I think that's it for now.....Happy Curriculum-ing.... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment